Muse Eek Publishing Presents: "Cloudwalking" A CD of Pure Improvised Beauty by Judi Silvano and Bruce Arnold
Judi Silvano–Voice with Live Processing
Bruce Arnold–Guitar and SuperCollider
"The definitive breakdown of musical categorization was delivered in 1962 by Duke Ellington: “There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind.” File this album in the Good Music section."
–Steve Holtje, Manager, ESP-Disk
“This is some Beautiful Cosmic Music created by two of the most inventive musicians on the scene today.”
–Joe Lovano, 2016
"Brilliant. Love it; almost a Kraftwerk twist to it."
–Rob Taylor nmblive.com, 2017
After the warm reception of their maiden voyage, Listen To This, (“This disc is the gem of the month!”…Bruce Gallanter, Downtown Music Gallery, NYC) the duo of Judi Silvano and Bruce Arnold present their second release of improvised electronic music, "Cloudwalking". While their first effort showed them exploring their musical connections, and reflected an all encompassing approach, "Cloudwalking" is a much more intentionally lyrical outing. It contains evocative electronic soundscapes and haunting melodies. It is atmospheric without being ambient.
All the tracks are completely improvised, yet they all sound composed, with thematic arcs, repeating motifs and intuitive endings. This stems from both of the musicians having a long history of composition, and an affinity for the same music. There is an equal give and take throughout these tracks, with neither Judi nor Bruce dominating the direction. Videographer Michal Shapiro, who shot the sessions, remarks, “Bruce may start off with a chord, or a sound or even a melodic figure, and Judi listens, interacts, and then before you know it, they are creating a beautiful song. Or sometimes Judi just starts singing and Bruce jumps right on it. But it amazes me that they come out the other end with these deep, cohesive musical pieces.”
The two musicians only met a relatively short while ago. Both traveled in the same circles, and made music with the same musicians, but had never met. A chance recommendation from bass player Ratzo B. Harris connected them on a gig, and the rest followed naturally.
Judi may be best known for her extensive jazz catalogue (too extensive to list here) but in reality, she is a multi-faceted artist, having grown up with classical, pop and jazz music, and been trained as a classical singer. Her affinities for modern classical music are apparent throughout this album, most notably on the opening track “Ingenue” with its sweet, almost bel canto tones.
Bruce Arnold has been following two different paths for the past ten years: Exploring the potentials of 12-tone music and pitch class sets, and mastering the computer program SuperCollider, to create new and original electric sounds on guitar. On their first session, Bruce notes “I set up an array of pedals, each one programmed to process Judi’s voice in a different way. She assessed the possibilities and immediately started to savor each sound and use the effects creatively.”
- Ingenue -2:53 - The most lyrical of the tracks, with both guitar and voice unprocessed.
- River Crossing - 4:15 – The pulse of a river runs through this.
- Golden Savanna 3:41 – Sun-drenched plains, windless.
- Skimming – 2:41 – A subdued interlude, for sitting quietly, watching dust motes.
- Cloudwalking – 2:47 - Airy, atmospheric textures. Judi is mercurial.
- Shavings – 2:04- Solo guitar sounds of a subterranean gamelon
- Meanderful - 2:29 – Wandering in curving paths
- Have and Hold - 3:49- A languid rumination wherein Judi shows a bit more of her jazz chops.
- Sparky - 1:44 - Solo Guitar – Bruce calls this “the stars at night.”
- Journey Past - 5:57 - Looking back and the paths taken.
- 024 Alap 3:42-- Solo guitar – Bruce’s guitar is sitar-like and reminiscent of the first section of a raga.
- Back Country – 3:52- The sound of snow.
Excerpts from "Cloudwalking":
- River Crossing
- Golden Savanna
- Have and Hold
- Journey Past
- 024 Alap
Status: In stock, physical CD ships in 24 hours. Digital downloaded MP3s are available for immediate access.
FREE SHIPPING WHEN ORDER TOTAL IS OVER 200.00 USD.
The Equipment Used on This Recording
This CD used extensive live audio processing of the voice and guitar. Below is a list of the equipment used:
Bruce Arnold's Equipment:
- Music Man Silhouette Guitar
- Mac Laptop running SuperCollider
- Voodoo Lab Ground Control Midifootcontroller
- Two Proel Expression Pedals
- Vertex Volume Pedal
- BB Preamp
- Distillery by Tone Concepts
- Lehle "Dual"
- 1957 Fender Deluxe Amplifier
- SonoSax SX-M1 and SX-M2 preamps
- Great River MP-2MV Preamp
Judi Silvano's Equipment:
- Mac Laptop running Fishman Triple Play Interface
- Eventide Anthology X Plugins
- Universal Audio Apollo Twin DUO Audio Interface
- Gordius MidifootController
- 2 Mission Engineering Expression Pedals
- Great River MP-2MV Preamp
- SoundDeluxe E47 Microphone