New York Guitar Method Volume One
The flagship book of the New York Guitar Method Series.
New York Guitar Method Volume One is the "Holy Grail" of scale books. Everything you ever wanted to know about scales is included in this book. But this book isn't just a collection of scales; it's an in-depth method for raising your musicianship through the understanding of how scales interface with every aspect of music.
If you are a student who wants to master:
- 22 most used scales in music
- Chords with additional tensions added.
- Music theory and its relationship to scales.
- Slash chords; what they are and how to use them.
- Modal Sequencing and the common patterns that form great melodies.
- Polyrhythmic Feel.
- Rhythmic permutation of scales.
Then look no further; this book will set you on the road to world class musicianship.
This 348 page book will:
- This 348 page book will:
- Expand your palette of scales.
- Get you to understand how scales and chord progressions are interrelated and how to use your ear to distinguish these relationships.
- Help your understanding of the 22 most used scales in improvisation.
- Show you how adding notes to a chord will affect the scale you choose.
- Show you how to add accents to your playing to give it a more rhythmic sound.
- Give you 2,048 scale possibilities to spice up your playing.
- Music theory exercises that apply these scales directly to the guitar via guitar diagrams.
- Give you common chord progressions that use each scale.
- Show you how to add articulations such as hammer-ons, pull-offs, staccato and legato notes, slides and vibrato to make your improvisations tastier.
- Show you how to apply arpeggios.
- Show you how to use cycles.
- Explain guide tones.
- Explain common chord substitutions.
- Explain Slash Chords .
- Show you how to find the right scale for any chord.
This book demystifies all of these subjects and then goes way beyond.
Learning scales using the 3 notes per string method will help break you "out of the box." You'll go way beyond just scales and their fingering patterns. By knowing how to apply sequencing to scales, you can forget about buying every new Shred video that comes out. This book gives you the theory behind all the cool licks you ever wanted to learn but it doesn't stop there; is also includes Modal Sequencing with Rhythmic permutation to give you kick-ass scale ideas. In other words, you'll have what you need to start creating your OWN sound!
Need further information? Here's a detailed list on the contents of this book
Take a deep breath.
The following scales and their theory are covered in great detail:
- The following scales and their theory are covered in great detail:
- Melodic Minor Ascending
- Dorian b2
- Lydian #5
- Lydian b7
- Mixolydian b6
- Locrian Natural 2
- Symmetrical Diminished
- Whole Tone
- Harmonic Minor
- Mixolydian b2, b6
- Major Pentatonic
- Minor Pentatonic
All the Chords with Tensions that you need to know to become a World Class Guitarist.
Added tensions for the following chord types are covered:
- Dominant7 sus4
- Diminished 7
- Minor Major 7
Articulations: the secret ingredient to soulful playing.
In-Depth coverage of the following Articulations:
- Slides from Below
- Slides from Above
Modal Sequences: A comprehensive explanation of how to build great melodies.
In-Depth look at the following Modal Sequences:
- Two Note Modal Sequencing-Seconds
- Two Note Modal Sequencing-Thirds
- Two Note Modal Sequencing-Fifths
- Two Note Modal Sequencing-Sixths
- Two Note Modal Sequencing-Sevenths
- Three Note Modal Sequencing
- Four Note Modal Sequencing
Scale and Music Concepts
- The following Musical Concepts are covered:
- Finding the Right Scale for Any Chord
- Finding the Natural Scale Sound
- Thinking the Way You Hear
- Other Scale Possibilities
- Ditonic Scales
- Tritonic Scales
- Tetratonic Scales
- Pentatonic Scales
- Hexatonic Scales
- Heptatonic Scales
- Octatonic Scales
- Nonatonic Scales
- Decatonic Scales
- Hendecatonic Scales
- Dodecatonic Scale
- List of 2,048 Scales
- Slash Chords
- Regular Chords and Slash Chords
- Slash Chord Possibilities
- Reharmonization Theory
- Adding Tensions
A Black Belt in Scales
We can say with full confidence that you'll have a black belt in scales after studying this book. Of course you'll want to apply all this knowledge to make it stick. That's why there is also the "New York Guitar Method Ensemble Book One," the companion book for the New York Guitar Method Volume One This book has you apply all the information covered through etudes, exercises, soloing, chord progressions and sight reading.
So is this book the right book for you?
Ask yourself these questions:
- Do you sometimes not know what is the right scale to play?
- Do you mostly use a few scales and can't figure out how to use the rest?
- Do you find your scale playing to be bland?
- Are you bored with the way you play scales when you improvise?
- Do you feel like you play the same things every time you improvise?
- Do you need more ideas on how to use scales?
- Do you need to get more rhythmic interest into you scale playing?
- Do you feel like you need some new sounds in your playing?
If the answer is YES then New York Guitar Method Volume One will get you on track to solving your scale problems. Filling in these gaps in your playing will make you a much better musician and give you the confidence to tackle any type of music.
Here is a couple of examples of MP3s that can be played or downloaded to help you learn each chord progression
Bringing together many Muse Eek Books to raise your musicianship
New York Guitar Method contains carefully selected excerpts from other Muse Eek Publications, making each book a targeted compilation. In the case of New York Guitar Method Volume One additional content has been taken from:
- Music Theory Workbook for Guitar Volume One
- Music Theory Workbook for Guitar Volume Two
- Chord Workbook for Guitar Volume One
The New York Guitar Method is an unmatched series of book covering all the things you need to become a world class guitarist.
By combining theoretical and practical application this series of books gives you everything you need to become a great guitarist. Get a consistent, comprehensive education by working through the entire New York Guitar Method series.
- Additional Information:
- Digital Edition 978-1-59489-863-1
- Physical IBSN: 978-1-59489-987-4
- 348 pages and many additional free files and videos in the member's area
- What people are saying:
- I'm an intermediate player and have taken a few music theory courses in high school. I got both the Primer 2 and Ensemble Primer 2 at the same time. I skipped the Primer One book. There is so much to be gained from working through this book. It finally dawned on me after an email I received from Bruce where is told me that "It doesn't matter how much you know it's how much of what you know that you can actually play." So now I understand why Bruce has me writing out every fricking chord using staff and fretboard notation. I can say I know how to build a chord but can I instantly tell you what notes are in a Gb Major 7#5 chord. Nope! I can play a Ab Phrygian scale if I sit down and think about it but can I on the fly start improvising with that scale in a group situation. Don't think so! So that's my eureka moment. Get these books and make all these musical skills second nature. That's really what these books are trying to do. P. Kantor
- I recently graduated to the NYGM V1. Took me 8 months of one hour a day practice to get there but I really feel like I've accomplished so much through this book. I now feel like I can: 1. Play most popular songs in time and have multiple strumming patterns I can choose from at will. 2. Improvise over Major, Minor and Dominant chords without completely sucking. 3. Read music although at a very slow pace. 4. Understand the basic theory behind: Scales, Chords and many basic chord progressions. I still having issues with my ear training and my rhythm takes a dive every once in a while but I owe my stellar improvement to New York Guitar Method Volume One. I also have to say that all the email conversations I had with Mr. Arnold helped me immensely. There's no fluff in these books, and no shortcuts. I recommend them if you are the type that likes to work with a very logical, no-nonsense approach to learning the guitar. D. Timmons
- I'm a music lover with some very troubling rhythm problems. I had read great reviews so I got NYGM Primer One and immediate felt lost. I contacted Mr. Arnold and he made some really crazy recommendations for me to tackle my rhythm issues. First he said don't even bother opening the book we have to work on some real basics. First thing he asked me was whether I walked before I crawled. I contacted my mother and sure enough I was walking very early. Bruce explained that many times the coordination that is formed from crawling builds a rhythmic ability that you don't get from walking. Basically it takes more coordiation and rhythm to crawl because you are using all four limbs. So believe it or not the first thing he had me do was crawl on the floor for a few minutes a day. I got the hang of it pretty fast but my girlfriend was starting to wonder about this Arnold character. Then he had me doing a bunch of taping with my hand while walking for about two weeks. Then I started working from the book. He had me start immediately on the chord progressions in NYGM Primer One and sure enough my strumming rhythm was much better than it had ever been. This is why you need to study with this guy he isn't one dimensional and he has decades of experience. Thanks Bruce for taking the time to help me through my problem!! I've now moved on to the Primer two books and going strong. Get on board with Bruce you won't be sorry. H. Walker.
- I contacted Bruce after I got these books to help me organize a practice schedule. This really helped me focus in on my specific issues. He also had me get some of his ear training books. Ear Training One Note Complete and Contextual Ear Training. The ET has been kicking my ass but as Bruce explained. "You need to improve your ear as well as your physical and mental knowledge of music." If you can store sound in your mind based on how your hear it your musicianship will go to a completely different level. I feel like Bruce's approach is very holistic and I'm already starting to see how much more in touch I am with music. W. Wilson.
Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced guitarist there is a book in this series that is perfect for you. GET STARTED TODAY!
Status: In stock, physical book ships in 24 hours. Digital book is available for immediate access.
FREE SHIPPING WHEN ORDER TOTAL IS OVER 200.00 USD.
- Recommended books to use with New York Guitar Method Volume One
- What should I work on after New York Guitar Method Volume One?